Tuesday 18 August 2015

Since You've Been Gone, by Morgan Matson


Title: Since You've Been Gone
Author: Morgan Matson
Publisher: Simon & Schuster Childrens
Number of pages: 480 pages (paperback)

★/5



Synopsis: Emily is bereft when her bubbly and energetic best friend, Sloane, leaves without saying goodbye at the beginning of what should have been the best summer of their lives. Sloane was the one who planned their adventures and befriended everyone they met, and Emily is feeling more than a little lost when a letter arrives from Sloane containing a list of tasks for Emily to do over the summer. Hoping that the list contains clues to Sloane's whereabouts that will become clear as she crosses items off, Emily tackles the challenges, making new friends, overcoming her fears, and gaining confidence as the summer goes on.

My Review: I picked up this book because the title intrigued me a lot, and because a lot of people said that they enjoyed it very much. I wanted to make my own opinion about this book. I really liked the cover, and, most of all, the typography of the title, which can seem not-that-important, but to me, it is. 

Since You've Been Gone is such a refreshing contemporary novel written by Morgan Matson (Second Chance Summer, Amy and Roger's Epic Detour). I thought it changed a lot from "regular" contemporary novels. The main character, Emily, is a character you can easily relate to. Her quest to achieve her best friend's list and find answers to her questions is truly fascinating. I liked the fact that the story was told from Emily's point of view, because it really draws the reader in, and makes us feel more invested in her quest. 
Morgan Matson's style is easy to read, fluid, and the story seems to "flow". The book also includes some really nice playlists (there's even one of my favourite French band, Phoenix). Throughout the pages, I could really see Emily grow up, gain confidence. It gave me hope, since I could easily relate to Emily. I thought that I could be strong too.
Let's not forget the other characters, who make this book so interesting. Indeed, the book also focuses on Emily's relationships with people. Sloane, even though she's absent during the entire book, is really present through the frequent flash-backs, and the reader is able to catch glimpses of her personality. She's an intriguing character, thanks to everything that isn't said, and that the reader discovers along the chapters. My favourite character was Frank, Mr Perfect as Emily describes him. At the beginning of the book, you think that he is one of these one-sided characters, that just plays his role full of stereotypes, just as Emily thinks he is. Very soon, you discover that he is not shallow, but on the contrary, very mysterious and interesting. 
So I really enjoyed this book, and that's why I gave it a 4-star review. I'm more into fantasy, so I was surprised to appreciate this contemporary novel as much as I do. I'll probably recommend it to a friend (I was thinking about offering it as a present to a friend who celebrates her birthday soon).

3 reasons to read it: 

  • It's a "feel good" summer read, that makes you think, but without being too heavy or serious. 
  • The characters are really interesting.
  • It's a beautiful story about a girl discovering more about herself and those that surround her.

No comments:

Post a Comment